The origin of the ustash-domobran movement and its program documents
The article is devoted to the emergence of the Ustash-Domobran movement and analysis of its main program documents. The author is at the same time considered it as a national Croatian movement and as the main military force of opponents of the Yugoslav regime led by Ante Pavelic. The article deals specifically with the period of its activity in emigration. A comparative description of different versions of the date of the formation of the Ustashes was made: from the evidence of the direct eyewitnesses of the mentioned events (memories of Ante Pavelic) to modern concepts (Tomislav Jonich). The author analyzes the program documents (the "The Charter", "The Ustash-domobran principles" and many "Prescriptions") in accordance with the rules of the national Croatian movement indicated in them. Thus, features of ideology, political views, attitude to the entire Croatian people and other nations, the state structure of the future Croatia, as well as the main features of military discipline in the Ustash army, the appearance of the members of the movement and their behavior relative to each other and enemies were revealed. In addition, the main idea is to prove the Croats’ right to own large areas in the Balkans. Looking through the documents, one can come to the conclusion that the Ustash movement from the very beginning was striving for the formation of an independent Croatian state. The article covers the first stage of the struggle of the Ustashes on the way to its goal.
2. STANOEVICH BR. (1989) Ustashski ministr smerti: Anatomiya prestupleniya Andriya Artukuovicha. – Ustashi Minister of Death: Anatomy of Andriy Artukuovich’s Crime. Moscow: Progress. (In Russian).
3. JELIĆ-BUTIĆ F. (1977) Ustaše i Nezavisna Država Hrvatska (1941–1945). – Ustasha and the Independent State of Croatia. Zagreb : Sveučilišna naklada Liber. (In Croation).
4. MATKOVIĆ HR. (2002) Povijest Nezavisne Države Hrvatske. – The history of the Independent State of Croatia. Zagreb : Naklada Pavičić. (In Croation).
5. FREIDZON V. I. (1999) O khorvatskoy istoriografii 1950-1980-kh godov po natsional’noy ideologii do nastupleniya Yugoslavii. – About the Croatian historiography of the 1950s-1980s in the national ideology before the advent of Yugoslavia. Slavyanovedenje - Slavic Studies. No. 5. p. 78-87. (In Russian).
6. BING A. (2013) Samoodređenje naroda i koncepcije hrvatske državnosti u kontekstu Drugog svjetskog rata – refleksije povijesnog kontinuteta. – The self-determination of the people and conception of Croatian statehood in the context of the Second World War - reflections of the historic continent. Zavod za hrvatsku povijest. - Department of Croatian History. No. 45. p. 129-154. (In Croation).
7. IVANIŠEVIČ A. (2010) Kao guske u maglu? Položaj Hrvatske u prvoj jugoslavenskoj državi. Između mita ta istvarnosti. - Like hazelnuts? The position of Croatia in the first Yugoslav state. Between the myth of that unity. Zavod za hrvatsku povijest. - Department of Croatian History. No. 42. p. 305-354. (In Croation).
8. MATKOVIĆ ST. (1999-2000) Politički odnosi Josipa Franka i frankovaca prema radičevskoj ideologiji. – The political Relationships between Josip Franko and Frankovic towards Radicevic Ideology. Zavod za hrvatsku povijest. - Department of Croatian History. No. 32–33. p. 277–283. (In Croation).
9. RADAN P. (2011) Constitutional experimentation and the national question interwar Yugoslavia. Istorija 20. veka. – The history of the 20th century. No. 3. p. 25–38.
10. Poglavnikov ured GUS-a 1941 / Propisnik o zadaći, ustrojstvu, radu I smjernicama / Hrvatske državne arhiv (HDA).–F.HR-HAD-249 "Ustaša". Hrvatski
narodooslobodilački pokret . 1930–1945. Kut. br.1.– Ured poglavnika. 1941.
11. HORVAT R. (1992) Hrvatska na mučilištu. – Croatia in torture. Zagreb : Školska knjiga. (In Croation).
12. JONIĆ T. (2001) Postanak i djelovanje ustaškog pokreta do 1941. – The posture and activity of the Ustasha movement until 1941. Available from:
http://www.tomislavjonjic.iz.hr/V_15_jareb.html. [Accessed: 20th January 2018]. (In Croation).
Abstract views: 19
Copyright (c) 2018 Literature and Culture of Polissya
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.