Existential motifs in the poetry of Iryna Shuvalova
The article deals with the writings of modern Ukrainian poetess Iryna Shuvalova. The debut poetry collection "Ran" (2011), as well as the two following collections "Os" (2014) and "Az" (2014) became a notable phenomenon in the modern literature of Ukraine. Her works were awarded numerous prizes, including "Smoloskyp", "Blahovist", Ukrainian-German Oles Honchar prize, etc. The poetess got positive reviews, but the formation of literary-critical discourse on the codification of her creative work is still active. Her poetry is metaphorical, saturated with allusions and cultural signs, she uses various poetry forms, and her verses are characterized by richness of images and visuality. Despite the fact that emotions in each collection are different, it is advisable to perceive the
lyrics of all three collections as a whole, since most of artistic images are basic and repetitive. Appealing to the philosophical depth of her lyric poetry, the author makes an attempt to read existential motifs of the poetess. In the centre of attention there are, first of all, meaningful intentions and the logic of their development from the finality of human existence awareness through the growth of anxiety, discontent, fear and despair, through comprehension and
enlightenment to the joy of being, love, happiness and light. The whole spectrum of emotions is fully revealed in a cyclic form, which aims the reader on self-sufficiency and completeness of the process, and also opens the prospect of further analysis of Iryna Shuvalova’s writings in the context of mythological, biblical, culturological codes.
2. Bohdan, S. Korotka antolohiia suchasnykh sposobiv hovoryty pro Boha, abo Znovu tsia nezdarna moloda poeziia [A brief anthology of modern ways to talk about God, or Again this talentless young poetry]. URL: http://litakcent. com/2011/11/07/korotka-antolohija-suchasnyh-sposobiv-hovoryty-pro-boha-abo-znovu-cja-nezdarna-moloda-poezija/ (Last accessed: 28.05.2019) [in Ukrainian].
3. Bohdan, S. Os yesm az… [Os yesm az…]. URL: http://litakcent. com/2015/01/23/os-jesm-az/ (Last accessed: 28.05.2019) [in Ukrainian].
4. Borysiuk, I. Mifolohiia zhinochoho Iryny Shuvalovoi: tilesnist, mova, chas [Mythology of female by Iryna Shuvalova: physicality, language, time]. Synopsys: tekst, kontekst, media – Synopsis : text, context, media: URL:http://ekmair. ukma.edu.ua/bitstream/handle/123456789/12663/191-563-1-PB.pdf sequence=1&isAllowed=y (Last accessed: 29.05.2019) [in Ukrainian].
5. Dihai, T. "Ran" Iryny Shuvalovoi : Na kinchyku holky ["Ran" by Iryna Shuvalova: At the tip of the needle]. URL: http://sumno.com/literature-review/na-kinchyku-golky/ (Last accessed: 26.05.2019) [in Ukrainian].
6. Yeremenko, Yu. (2016). Ekzystentsialnyi ta estetychnyi vymir fenomenu smerti [Existential and aesthetic measurement of the phenomenon of death]. Visnyk Dnipropetrovskoho universytetu. Ser. Filosofiia – Journal of Dnipropetrovsk University. Ser. Philosophy, 1. 72–80 [in Ukrainian].
7. Zheliezna, Yu. Iryna Shuvalova: "Shypshyna dlia mene duzhe vazhlyvyi symvol, totem" [Iryna Shuvalova: "The briar rose is a very important symbol for me, a totem"]. URL: http://litakcent.com/2012/03/22/iryna-shuvalova-shypshyna-dlja-mene-duzhe-vazhlyvyj-symvol-totem/ (Last accessed: 28.05.2019) [in Ukrainian].
8. Sait Avtura [Site Avtura]. URL: http://www.avtura.com.ua (Last accessed: 24.05.2019) [in Ukrainian].
9. Kiianovska, M. (2011). Znaky poetychnykh pokolin u nainovishii ukrainskii poezii [The signs of poetic generations in the newest Ukrainian poetry] Ukrainska
literaturna hazeta – Ukrainian literary newspaper, 18 . 4–5 [in Ukrainian].
10. Kotsarev, O. Iryna Shuvalova. Az [Iryna Shuvalova. Az]. URL: https://krytyka.com/ua/reviews/az (Last accessed: 26.05.2019) [in Ukrainian].
11. Oslavskyi, B. Iryna Shuvalova : dosvid dotyku [Iryna Shuvalova: touch experience]. URL: https://zbruc.eu/node/36719 (Last accessed: 25.05.2019) [in Ukrainian].
12. Sait LitAktsent [Site LitAktsent]. URL: http://litakcent.com (Last accessed: 28.05.2019) [in Ukrainian].
13. Riabchii, I. (2010). Iryna Shuvalova "Ne khochetsia farsu" [Iryna Shuvalova "I do not want farce"] Ukrainska literaturna hazeta – Ukrainian literary newspaper, 11. 7 [in Ukrainian].
14. Shuvalova, I. (2014). Az : zbirka poezii [Az : a poetry collection]. Kyiv [in Ukrainian].
15. Shuvalova, I. (2014). Os : zbirka poezii [Os : a poetry collection]. Kyiv [in Ukrainian].
16. Shuvalova, I. (2011). Ran : zbirka poezii [Ran : a poetry collection]. Kyiv [in Ukrainian].
Abstract views: 27
Copyright (c) 2019 Literature and Culture of Polissya
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.