Representation of linguocultural codes in the discourse of healing
There is a need for linguistic studies of the linguistic and conceptual structure of folklore genres which constitute phenomena of linguoculture. Healing charms are examined by scholars from the standpoint of their structure as well as their voluntative and magical/mystical function. Yet the means and communicative mechanisms of linguocultural coding and its realization in the discourse of healing have never been studied in a focused manner. In particular, there is a need for the studies of verbal forms of expression of linguocultural codes. The present study uses the following methods of linguistic inquiry: semasiological procedure of field modelling; component and distributive analysis; and contextological interpretation. The article addresses the problem of representing spiritual, spatial, biomorphic and sensory linguocultural codes. It argues that their linguistic realization depends on the genre, thematic and structural features of folklore texts. “Desire” as an element of healing charms drives either positive or negative utilitarian and teleological evaluations of linguistic signs in the studied codes. The study analyses the recurrent linguistic images of healing charms. It describes their role within the linguocultural coding of the proper (anthroponyms, anthropomorphonyms, toponyms) and common names. It also examines how the potential of ethnocultural symbols is being used. It elucidates that the discourse of healing is produced due to the activization not only of the magical and the voluntative but also the aesthetic, axiological, expressive and suggestive functions of code verbalizers. A fruitful line of inquiry into the discourse of healing would also address the representation of the medical code of linguoculture.
2. Huntshik, I. (2011). Ukraiinskii magichno-sakralnyi folklor: struktura tekstu ta osoblyvosti funktsionuvannia: [monografiia] [Ukrainian magical and sacral folklore: structure of the text and peculiarities of functioning]. Lviv: LNU imeny Ivana Franka. [In Ukrainian].
3. Tolstaia, S.M. (1999). Zagovory [Charms]. In Slavianskiie drevnosti: Etnolingvisticheskii slovar [Slavic antiquities: ethnolinguistic dictionary], in 5 vol. Мoscow: Меzhd. Otnоshеniia. [In Russian].
4. Toporov, V.N. (1987). Zagovory i mify [Charms and myths]. In Mify narodov mira [Myths of world’s nations], in 2 vol. Мoscow: Sovetskaia entsiklopediia, pp. 450–452. [In Russian].
5. Ignatenko, I. (2016). Narodna medytsyna I magiia ukraintsiv. Viruvannia, mifolohiia, svitoglad. Taiemnytsi znaharstva, zamovliannia [Folk medicine and magic of Ukrainians. Beliefs, mythology, secrets of healing and charms]. Khаrkіv: Knyzhkоvyi klub "Klub simeinoho dozvillia". [In Ukrainian].
6. Ignatenko, I. (2006). Narodna medytsyna ukraіintsiv Seredniogo Polissia: tradytsii ta suchasnist [Folk medicine of Ukrainians in Middle Polissia: traditions and
contemporaneity]. Каmianets-Podilskii: PP "Меdоbоry". [In Ukrainian].
7. Krasnyh, V. (2002). Etnopsyhologiia i lingvokulturologiia [Ethnopsychology and linguocultural studies]. Мoscow: Gnozis. [In Russian].
8. Novikova, M. (1993). Komentar [Commentary]. In Ukraiinski zamovliannia [Ukrainian charms]. Kyiv: Dnipro. [In Ukrainian].
9. Semashko, T. (2016). Movni stereotypy iz sensornym komponentom v ukraiinskii lingvokulturi [Linguistic stereotypes with a sensory component in Ukrainian linguoculture]. Ed. by Sluhai, N. Kyiv: Art Economy. [In Ukrainian].
10. Bilodid, K. et al. (eds.). (1970). Slovnyk ukraiinskoii movy [Dictionary of the Ukrainian language], Vol. 1. Кyiv: Nаuкоvа dumkа. [In Ukrainian].
11. Soliar, O. (2011). Mova magii. Magiia movy. Symvolika ukraiinskyh zamovlian [Language of magic. Magic of language. Symbolism of Ukrainian charms]. Peremyshl. [In Ukrainian].
12. Moskalenko M. (1993). Ukraiinski zamovlannia [Ukrainian charms]. Kyiv: Dnірrо. [In Ukrainian].
13. Shuliak, S.A. (2018). Charivne slovo ukraiinskyh zamovlian [The magical word of Ukrainian charms]. Uman: Sochinskiy М. [In Ukrainian].
14. Iudin, A.V. (1997). Onomastikon russkih zagovorov. Imena sobstvennyie v russkom magicheskom folklore [Onomasticon of Russian charms. Proper names in the Russian magical folklore. Moscow: MONF. [In Russian].
Abstract views: 44
Copyright (c) 2019 Literature and Culture of Polissya
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.