Adjective constructions denoting appearance of a person
The article is devoted to the analysis of adjective constructions denoting appearance of a person in Internet news articles which are represented by immediate, modified and extended ones. The conducted investigation reveals, that the group of constructions expressing appealing appearance is more numerous due to the author’s intention to attract readers’ attention. Immediate adjective constructions state a certain characteristic in the appearance of people, either positive or negative while modified and extended ones are used to emphasize different shades of attractiveness or unattractiveness of people. The constructions under analysis occur in different syntactical positions, namely of the subject, the predicative and the object, and can be a part of compound predicate. In the immediate, modified and extended units, the adjectives are represented by compound, denominal and determining items as well as by participles.
2. Collins Dictionary URL: https://www.collinsdictionary. com. (accessed 08. 11. 209).
3. Croft W. Cruse D. Cognitive Linguistics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004. 356 p.
4. Croft W. Radical Construction Grammar: Syntactic Theory in Typological Perspective. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2001. 416 p.
5. Dąbrowska E. Language, Mind and Brain. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2010. 262 p.
6. Dominick J. Wimmer R. Mass Media Research. Belmont: Wadsworth Publishing Co Inc, 2013. 496 p.
7. Evans V. New Directions in Cognitive Linguistics. Bangor: Bangor University Press, 2009. 519 p.
8. Goldberg A. E. Constructions at Work: The nature of Generalization in Language. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006. 280 p.
9. Greenbaum S. The Oxford English Grammar. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1996. 652 p.
10. Herring S. Computer-mediated discourse/ ed. by D. Tannen, D. Schriffrin. Oxford: Blackwell, 2015. 24 p.
11. Langacker R. W. Cognitive Grammar. A Basic Introduction. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008. 562 p.
12. Langacker R. W. Construction Grammars: cognitive, radical, and less so. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter, 2005. 159 р.
13. Longman Dictionary URL: https://www.ldoceonline. com. (accessed 08.11.2019).
14. Miller J. An introduction to English Syntax. Edinburg: Edinburg University Press, 2002. 190 p.
15. Potapenko S. I. Constructions in English: from paradigmatic to
syntagmatic relations. Literatura i kultura Polissya. 2017. Vyp. 89. S. 172 –180.
16. Radden G. Dirven R. Cognitive English Grammar. Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing Company, 2007. 374 p.
17. Talavira N. English orientating constructions denoting location: classification and article use. Lingua Posnaniensis. 2017. Vol. 59, Issue 2. P. 101–120.
18. Talavira N. Verbalization of love in modern English poetry:constructional approach. Literatura i kultura Polissya. 2019. Vyp. 95, №12. S. 142–149.
Abstract views: 31
Copyright (c) 2019 Literature and Culture of Polissya
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.