Archaisms in the novels "Sviatoslav", "Volodymyr" by S. Sklyarenko
The author of the article attempts to reveal the essence of the research concepts: "idiostyle", "passive vocabulary", "obsolete vocabulary", "historicisms", "archaisms"; to analyze the specifics of using archaisms in the novels "Sviatoslav", "Volodymyr" by S. Sklyarenko. Obsolete vocabulary is an issue of constant interest of both national and foreign linguists who study it from the functional side as well as a means of historical stylization in the literary works. Archaic words are widely used by writers, historians, journalists for reflecting the past or for other stylistic purposes. Therefore, the studied layer of vocabulary is a topical linguistic problem, as it allows to trace the processes of language variability, makes it possible to determine the time frame of its evolution, to predict its further development, etc. The lack of the researches that represent the features of archaic vocabulary in the novels by S. Sklyarenko led to the choice of the theme of the article. The author of the article clarifies the specifics of the historical novel. It is proved that obsolete vocabulary is one of its genre-forming features. The linguistic nature of archaisms and historicisms is analyzed and the methods of their introduction into the literary text are determined. On the example of the novels "Sviatoslav", "Volodymyr" by S. Sklyarenko the lexical, lexical and word-forming, lexical and phonetic and phonetic archaisms were analyzed. The comparison of this group of vocabulary with its synonymic neutral one indicates the expressiveness, unusualness and contrast of archaisms. While analyzing the language material it was found out that the archaic vocabulary, introduced mainly to the direct or indirect speech of the characters, rather than to the speech of the author himself, vividly represents the living language of the past, indicating its distance from the modern linguistic norms.
Textbook for filological specialities]. Moscow: Vyssh. shk. [in Russian].
2. Hajduchenko, H. (2009). Istoryzmy ta arkhaizmy iak osnovni vyrazhal'ni zasoby istorychnoi stylizatsii. [Historicisms and archaisms as the main expressive
means of historical stylization]. Naukovyj visnyk KhDU: Seriia "Linhvistyka" – Scientific Bulletin of KhSU. Ranfe Linguistics. Kherson. 65–68 [in Ukrainian].
3. Yegorova, O. N. (2016). Lingvostilistika istoricheskogo romana. Filologicheskie nauki [Linguistical stylistics of a historical novel]. Vestnik Vyatskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta – Bulletin of Vyatka State University. Philological sciences. 63–67 [in Russian].
4. Kovalenko, O. V. (2002). Khronologicheski markirovannaya leksika kak faktor teksta v zhanre istoricheskogo romana (na materiale khudozhestvennoy prozy V. Skotta) [Chronologically marked vocabulary as a factor of text in the historical novel genre (based on the material of V. Scott's prose)]: dis. … kand. filol. nauk: 10.02.01 Russkiy yazyk. Candidate’s thesis. Odessa [in Russian].
5. Ivanova, L. Yu., Skovorodnikova, A. P., Shiryaeva, E. N. i dr. (Eds.). (2011). Kultura russkoy rechi : Entsiklopedicheskiy slovar-spravochnik. [Culture of Russian Speech: Encyclopedic Dictionary. under the editorship of L. Yu. Ivanova, A. P. Skovorodnikova, E.N. Shiryaeva etc.]. 3-e izd., ster. M.: Flinta. URL: http://znanium.com/catalog/product/454159 (Last accessed: 10.09.2019) [in Russian].
6. Sklyarenko, S. (2004). Svyatoslav: roman. D.: [Svyatoslav: novel D.] Vy’davny’cztvo Stalker - Stalker Publishing House Donetsk [in Ukrainian].
7. Sklyarenko, S. D. (2007). Volody’my’r: roman [Volodymyr: novel].
Kharkiv: Folio – Publishing House Folio [in Ukrainian].
8. Bilodid, I.K (Eds.). (1973). Suchasna ukrains'ka literaturna mova: leksyka i frazeolohiia. [Modern Ukrainian Literary Language: Vocabulary and Phraseology]. Kyiv: Nauk. dumka [in Ukrainian].
9. Hryschenko, A. P., Mats'ko, L. I., Pliusch, M. Ya. ta in. (2002). Suchasna ukrains'ka literaturna mova: Pidruchnyk [Modern Ukrainian Literary Language; Textbook]. Kyiv: Vyscha shkola – High school [in Ukrainian].
10. Yartsyeva, V. N. (Eds.). (1998). Yazykoznanie. Bolshoy entsiklopedicheskiy slovar [Linguistics. Big Encyclopedic Dictionary]. 2-e y’zd. Moscow Bol'shaya
Rossiyskaya entsiklopediya, Big Russian Encyclopedia [in Russian].
Abstract views: 19
Copyright (c) 2019 Literature and Culture of Polissya
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.