H. V. Samoilenko and Nizhyn Higher School: 50 Years of Devotional Service to Science
The article reviews the diverse activities of a well-known literary critic, cultural historian, local historian, bibliographer, doctor of philology, professor, Honored Worker of Science and Technology of Ukraine, a prominent representative of the Nizhyn Higher School Hryhoriy Samoilenko, head of the Department of Slavic Philology, Comparative Studies and Translation of Mykola Gogol State University. The main attention is paid to those aspects of the scientist’s activity, which develop the traditions of the Nizhyn Higher School and increase its achievements. The contribution of the scholar as a researcher of the history of Russian literature and Ukrainian culture of the 19th-20th centuries is revealed. This was reflected in his candidate and doctoral dissertations, numerous articles and monographs. The main directions and results of H. V. Samoilenko’s scientific interests are analyzed, in particular his fruitful achievements in the methods of teaching literature and literary studies. Special attention is paid to H. V. Samoilenko’s study of Gogol University in its historical dimension, the comprehension of its cultural and scientific achievements and the substantiation of the existence of the scientific philological school. The progress of the scholar in the development of Ukrainian Gogol studies is revealed, in particular in its biographical direction – the study of Gogol’s biography in the context of Nizhyn cultural environment; textual – an analysis of the copies of the second volume of "Dead Souls"; comparative – a study of the theme "Gogol and Ukraine", emphasized by the cultural and artistic discourse of the writer’s legacy. Also the scholar put into the academic circulation the newfound "Nizhyn copy". The article also marked one more direction of H. V. Samoilenko’s activity – as a researcher of the history of culture of Ukraine and its regional study.
Among numerous works written by the scholar over the decades, there is a monograph that undoubtedly enriched national science – "Development of Artistic Culture in Chernihiv region in the 19th – early in the 20th century". It is the first attempt at a thorough study of the artistic and cultural life of Chernihiv region. Important aspects of the regional culture development are traced. Against the extensive documented background, H. V. Samoilenko considers such phenomena as building and architecture, cultural nests, painting, literary life, periodicals,
theater and musical art, which made it possible to come to original conclusions about the high level of development of regional art culture.
2. Samoilenko, G. V. (1983) Fadeev A. A. Bibliograficheskii ukazatel [Fadeev A. A. Bibliographic index]. Nezhyn [in Russian].
3. Samoilenko, G. V. (1984) N. V. Gogol i literatura narodov SSSR [N. V. Gogol and the literature of the peoples of the USSR]. Nezhyn [in Russian].
4. Samoilenko, H. V., Samoilenko, O. H. (1999) Nizhynskyi derzhavnyi pedahohichnyi universytet imeni Mykoly Hoholia [Nizhyn State Pedagogical
University named after Mykola Gogol]. Nizhyn [in Ukrainian].
5. Samoilenko, H. V., Samoilenko, O. H. (2000) Nizhynska vyshcha shkola: vid Himnazii vyshchykh nauk do universytetu [Nizhyn High School: from
the Gymnasium of Higher Sciences to the University]. Nizhyn [in Ukrainian].
6. Samoilenko, H. V., Samoilenko, O. H. (2005) Nizhynska vyshcha shkola: storinky istorii [Nizhyn High School: the pages of history]. Nizhyn [in Ukrainian].
7. Samoilenko, H. V., Samoilenko, O. H. (2015) Nizhynska vyshcha shkola u spohadakh studentiv i vykladachiv: memuary: u 2 t. [Nizhyn High School in the Memoirs of Students and Teachers: Memoirs]. (Vols 1-2). Nizhyn [in Ukrainian].
8. Samoilenko, G. V. (1993) Nezhinskaia filologicheskaia shkola. 1820-1990 [Nezhin School of Philology]. Nezhyn [in Russian].
9. Samoilenko, H. V. (1993) Vcheni-filolohy Nizhynskoi vyshchoi shkoly [Vocational Philology of the Nizhyn High School ]. Nizhyn [in Ukrainian].
10. Kychenko, O. S. (2017) Tvorchist Hoholia u doslidzhenniakh Nizhynskoi filolohichnoi shkoly periodu 2010-2017 rokiv: biohrafiia, tekstolohiia,
poetyka [Gogol’s creativity of the Nizhyn philological school at the previous years 2010–2017: biography, textology, poetics ]. Literatura ta kultura Polissia – Literature and Culture of Polissia, 86. 4-12 [in Ukrainian].
11. Zharkevich, N. M., Mikhalskii, E. N., Mikhed, P. V., Samoilenko, G. V. (1989) N. V. Gogol i Nezhin: Nezhinskaia gimnaziia vysshikh nauk kniazia Bezborodko, nachalo tvorchestva [N. V. Gogol and Nezhyn: Nezhyn’s Gymnasia of Higher Sciences of Prince Bezborodko, the beginning of creativity ]. Nezhyn [in Russian].
12. Samoilenko, G. V. (2002) Nezhin – gorod iunosti Gogolia [Nezhyn - the city of youth of Gogol]. Nezhyn [in Russian].
13. Samoilenko, G. V. (2008) Nikolai Gogol i Nezhin [Nikolay Gogol and Nezhyn ]. Nezhyn [in Russian].
14. Samoilenko, G. V. (2009, october) Novonaidennyi spisok vtorogo toma "Mertvykh dush" [The newly found manuscript of the second volume of "Dead Souls"]. Anniversary international scientific conference dedicated to the 200th anniversary of the birth of N. V. Gogol. Moscow, Russia [in Russian].
15. Samoilenko, G. V. (2012) Khronika napisaniia vtorogo toma "Mertvykh dush". N. Gogolia [Chronicle of writing the second volume of "Dead Souls"]. Nezhyn [in Russian].
16. Samoilenko, G. V. (2012) Nezhinskii spisok vtorogo toma "Mertvykh dush" [Nezhyn manuscript the second volume of "Dead Souls"]. Nezhyn [in Russian].
17. Isaienko, K. P. (2018) Retsenziia-prezentatsiia knyhy prof. H. V. Samoilenka "Povist Mykoly Hoholia "Taras Bulba" v ukrainskomu tekstolohichnomu, sotsiolohichnomu ta mystetskomu vymirakh" [Review-presentation of the book prof. H. V Samoilenko "The story of Mykola Gogol "Taras Bulba" in Ukrainian textual, social and mystical dimension"]. Literatura ta kultura Polissia – Literature and Culture of Polissia, 93. 311-312 [in Ukrainian].
18. Mykhed, P. V. (2002) Kriz pryzmu baroko [Through the prism of baroque]. Kyiv [in Ukrainian].
19. Samoilenko, H. V. (2015) Rozvytok khudozhnoi kultury na Chernihivshchyni u ХIХ – poch. ХХ st. [Development of Artistic Culture in Chernihiv
region in the 19th – early in the 20th century]. Nizhyn [in Ukrainian].
Abstract views: 19
Copyright (c) 2020 Literature and Culture of Polissya
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.