The cossack and insurgent traditions in the river war on the Dnipro
In article is compared of the river war of the Cossack and the insurgent military formations and their river fleets on the Dnipro, as a part of the Ukrainian military history and the history of Ukraine during the Cossack era and First liberation struggle of 1917–1921. River communications were a significant factor in the tactics and sometimes in the strategies of the opposing sides. River fleets became one of the means of control over water communications. Those Cossacks’ and rebels’ flotillas were sometimes created on the basis of with civil ships unassigned for military purposes. Their defense and weapons were largely of an improvised nature. The Cossack and the insurgent military detachments had their own river transport at their disposal, which became one of the factors that allowed them to conduct more maneuverable military actions and to be less vulnerable under adverse conditions. In fact, even a complete or partial loss of the Cossacks’ and rebels’ flotillas did not leaded to the termination of the river war – the hostilities on the Dnipro, which indicates the importance of the Cossacks’ and rebels’ awareness about the waterways as a military factor. The author finds out what role the Dnipro played for the tactics of Ukrainian Cossacks in the 15th and 17th centuries. He also explores exactly what river transport was used by Cossacks
or military purposes and what significance it had in the most significant battles of the Cossacks. Based on this information, the author tries to compare what was common and different in the fighting on the Dnipro of the Ukrainian Cossacks and rebels 1918–1921.
2. Hrushevskyi M.S. Istoriia Ukrainy-Rusy / M. Hrushevskyi: v X t. T.VII. K., 1909. – 628 s.
3. Koval R.M. Otamany Haidamatskoho kraiu: 33 biohrafii. – K.: Pravda Yaroslavychiv, 1998. – 223 s.
4. Litopys hadiatskoho polkovnyka Hryhoriia Hrabianky. – K., 1992. – 192 s.
5. Litopys Samovydtsia. – K.: Naukova dumka, 1971. – 177 s.
6. Samiilo Velychko. Litopys. T. 1 – K., 1991. – 564 s.
7. Smolii V.A., Stepankov V.S. Ukrainska natsionalna revoliutsiia XVII st. (1648–1676 rr.) – K.: Vydavnychii dim "Alternatyvy", 1999. – 352 s.
8. Kharchenko O. Richkovyi flot u viiskovykh kampaniiakh B. Khmelnytskoho URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk96AXCIYTc
9. Tsentralnyi derzhavnyi arkhiv hromadskykh obiednan Ukrainy, f. 5, op. 1., spr. 263.
10. Tsentralnyi derzhavnyi arkhiv hromadskykh obiednan Ukrainy, f. 5, op. 1., spr. 268.
11. Yavornytskyi D. I. Istoriia zaporizkykh kozakiv: U 3 t. T. 1. / [per. z ros. I. I. Svarnyka ; khudozh. Ye. E. Datsiuk, V. M. Dozorets]. – Lviv : Svit, 1991. – 319 s.
12. Yavornytskyi D. I. Istoriia zaporizkykh kozakiv: U 3 t. T. 2. / [per. z ros.
I. I. Svarnyka ; khudozh. Ye. E. Datsiuk, V. M. Dozorets]. – Lviv : Svit, 1991. – 392 s.
Abstract views: 18
Copyright (c) 2018 Literature and Culture of Polissya
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.