Functional and Stylistic Features of Sentences with Homogeneous Parts in Novels by Ivan Bagriany
The article focuses on the structural and semantic features of homogeneous parts of a sentence used in the artistic language of novels by Ivan Bagriany. The fact that homogeneous components are used by the author as significant elements for creating portraits, depicting landscapes is emphasized. It is determined that the most typical in the writer’s idiolect are the verb homogeneous series, by which the author conveys the dynamics of narration, specifies, creates
descriptive pictures. The adjective homogeneous series, which represent the vivid attributive characteristics of people, objects, spatial concepts and natural phenomena, actively function. The noun homogeneity, which emphasizes the scale of the depicted, is less used in the analyzed novels. Such homogeneity acquires particular stylistic expressiveness in the role of metonymy, when the intentional actualization of the most important words, according to the author, focusing attention on them gives the context colloquial intonations. The basic functional and stylistic examples of sentences with homogeneous parts are outlined in the studied texts The analysis has shown that an interesting stylistic phenomenon in the novels under consideration is the detachment of homogeneous components, which attracts attention, emphasizes the characteristic features of a person or an object. Parcelled homogeneous predicates have been found to perform an emotional-expressive function, and parcelled secondary parts of a sentence add, specify certain information. In general, sentences with homogeneous parts in Ivan Bagriany’s idiolect are subordinated to the aesthetic aims of the writer, serve as a means of artistic interpretation of his idiostyle, actualize information, make a tense, highly artistic narration more expressive, give it characteristics of originality.
2. Bahrianyi, I. (2015). Tyhrolovy [Tigrolovi]: roman. Kharkiv: Folio [in Ukraine].
3. Huivaniuk, N. (2006). Ekspresyvnyi syntaksys: dosiahnennia i problemy. Aktualni problemy syntaksysu. [Expressive syntax: achievements and problems]:
materialy. Mizhnar. nauk. konf., 19-21 zhovt r.: Chernivtsi: Ruta,. 267–275 [in Ukraine].
4. Dudik, P., Prokopchuk, L. (2010). Syntaksys ukrainskoi movy. [Syntax of the Ukrainian language]: Pidruchnyk. Kyiv: VTs "Akademiia" [in Ukraine].
5. Yermolenko, S. (2005). Linhvostylistyka: osnovni poniattia, napriamy y metody doslidzhennia. [SLinguostylistics: basic concepts, directions and methods of research]. Movoznavstvo. 3–4, 112–125 [in Ukraine].
6. Zhukovskyi, H. (2007). Bahrianyi I. Vybrani tvory. [Selected Works]. Kyiv: Knyha: Book [in Ukraine].
7. Zahnitko, A. (2001). Teoretychna hramatyka ukrainskoi movy. [Theoretical grammar of the Ukrainian language]. Syntaksys: monohrafiia. Donetsk: DoNU. [in
8. Koniukhova, L. (1999). Yavyshche partseliatsii v movi suchasnykh zasobiv masovoi komunikatsii: dys. … kandydata filol. nauk [The phenomenon of parcellation in the language of modern mass communication]: 10.02.01. Lviv,. Р. 47–48 [in Ukraine].
9. Ladyniak, N. (2005). Ekspresyvni syntaksychni struktury u khudozhnomu teksti (na materiali tvoriv Ivana Bahrianoho). [Expressive syntactic structures in artistic text (based on the works of Ivan Bagriany) ]. Naukovi pratsi Kam’ianets - Podilskoho derzhavnoho universytetu: Filolohichni nauky. Vyp.11: Vol. 1–2, 2. Kamianets – Podilskyi: Abetka – Nova.. Vol. 2, 109–117 [in Ukraine].
10. Shulzhuk, K. (2004). Syntaksys ukrainskoi movy. [Syntax of the Ukrainian language]: Pidruchnyk. Kyiv: "Akademiia" [in Ukraine].
Abstract views: 17
Copyright (c) 2019 Literature and Culture of Polissya
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.