Strengthening Norman tendencies in the early stages of the formation of Soviet historical science
The article is devoted to a comprehensive analysis of research on the origin of Rus in the context of the development of historical thought in the 1920s - early 1930s. This publication reveals the prerequisites for changing the conceptual foundations of post-revolutionary historical science on the formation of the ancient Rus. Attention is drawn to the first scientific works of historians of the 1920s and 1930s, which proved the Norman origin of the first Russian princes and the bringing of statehood from Scandinavia. The focus is on the historiographical works by O. Shakhmatov, P. Smirnov, V. Brim, which led to the complete
restoration of Normanism in its most radical expression. It is noted that this was largely due to the fact that W.Tomsen’s "ultra-Normanism" had never found a worthy opponents. It is emphasized that a convincing impression of the final victory of the Norman concept is formed in the scientific circles, since scientists of the "old school", whose studies were based on long-developed methodological principles, continued to work in academic and educational institutions from the beginning to the end of the 1920s. The author of the article concludes that, at the turn of the 1920s and 1930s Normanism was proclaimed like Marxism-Leninism as an only-true doctrine, which was actively disseminated and promoted both in scientific institutions and in secondary educational establishments through an extensive system of scientific-popular literature and school textbooks.
2. Brim, V. A. (1923). Proishojdenie termina "Rus". [The origin of the term "Rus"]. Rossiya i Zapad: istor. sb. – Russia and the West: History. Sat, (1)1923. 5–10. [In Russian]
3. Byikovskiy, S. N. (1931). YAfeticheskiy predok vostochnyih slavyan – kimmeriytsyi. [The Japhethic ancestor of the Eastern Slavs is the Cimmerians]. Izvestiya GAIMK. – GAIMK News. Moscow; Leningrad: Sotsekgiz (Vols. 1–8; Vol. 8) 1931. [In Russian].
4. Gote, Yu. V. (1929). Retsenzіya na knigu P. P. Smirnova "Volzskiy shlyah і sta-rodavnі Rusi (Narisi z ruskoї іstorії VI–IX v.)" [A review of PP Smirnov's book "The Volga Way and the Ancient Rus' (Essays on Russian History of the 6th-9th Centuries)"]. Novyiy Vostok. – New East. 1929. [In Russian].
5. Kuzmyn, A. H. (2003). Nachalo Rusy: Tainы rozhdenyia russkoho naroda [The Beginning of Russia: Secrets of the Birth of the Russian People] Moscow: Veche [In Russian].
6. Makarov, V. I. (2000) "Takogo ne by’st’ na Rusi prezhde...": povest’ ob akademike A. A. Shakhmatove ["Do not hasten this before in Russia ...": a story about academician A. A. Shakhmatov]. St. Petersburg: Aletheia. [In Russian].
7. Parhomenko, V. (1924). Normanizm i antinormanizm: k voprosu o proishozhdenii termina "Rus". Izvestiya Otdeleniya russkogo yazyka i slovesnosti Rossijskoj Akademii nauk 1923. [Normanism and Anti-Normanism: On the Question of the Origin of the Term "Rus". Bulletin of the Russian Language and Literature Department of the Russian Academy of Sciences 1923]. Leningrad [In Russian].
8. Platonov, S. F. (1927). Istoriya. Akademiya nauk SSSR za 10 let. 1917–1927. [History. USSR Academy of Sciences for 10 years. 1917–1927] Leningrad: Izd-vo AN SSSR. [In Russian].
9. Smirnov, P. (1928). Volzkij shlyah i starodavni Rusi: narisi z ruskoyi istoriyi VI–IX st. [The Volga Way and the Ancient Rus: Essays on Russian History of the VI–IX centuries]. Kyiv: VUAN [in Ukrainian].
10. Tomsen, V. (1891). Nachalo Russkogo gosudarstva [The Beginning of the Russian State]. Moscow: Universitetskaya tipografiya [In Russian].
11. Florinskij, V. M. (1894). Pervobytnye slavyane po pamyatnikam ih doistoricheskoj zhizni: opyt slavyanskoj arheologii [Primitive Slavs from the monuments of their prehistoric life: the experience of Slavic archeology] (Vols. 1–2; Vol. 1) Tomsk: Tipo-Lit. P. I. Makushina [In Russian].
12. Shahmatov, A. A. (1919). Drevnejshie sudby russkogo plemeni [The most ancient fates of the Russian tribe] Petrograd: Izdanie Russkogo istoricheskogo zhurnala [In Russian].
13. Yusova, N. (2006). "Davnoruska narodnist": zarodzhennya i stanovlennya koncepciyi v radyanskij istorichnij nauci (1930-ti – persha polovina 1940-h rr.) [Yusova N. "Ancient Russian Nationality": the Origin and Formation of the Concept in Soviet Historical Science (1930s – first half of 1940's)] monografiya. 2nd, pererob. i enl. Kyiv: VD "Stilos" [in Ukrainian].
Abstract views: 50
Copyright (c) 2020 Literature and Culture of Polissya
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.