Functional and stylistic potential of substantivized adjectives in the idiolectics of Yevhen Gutsalo
The article analyzes the substantivisation of adjectives as one of the most productive transpositional processes in the parts of speech system. On the basis of the material extracted from the prose works of Yevhen Gutsalo, the grammatical features of the transposed lexemes are clarified, the main semantic groups of substantivised adjectives are outlined, their stylistic load in the context is determined. Emphasis is placed on substantivised adjectives-antonyms, which serve to create contrast and reveal their own structural-semantic and stylistic features. It was found that substantivised adjectives in the works of Yevhen Gutsalo belong to the powerful elements of the system of expressive and pictorial means used by the author for a certain stylistic purpose, focus on the depicted, model the internal features and condition of a man, and demonstrate individual author’sworldview.
Literature and culture of Polissya – Literature and culture of Polissya Vip. 74. Series "Philological Sciences". 1, 224–230. [in Ukrainian].
2. Bobukh, N. M. 2009. Antonyms in the Ukrainian poetic language of the twentieth century: structural-semantic, functional-stylistic and lexicographic
aspects [Antonyms in the Ukrainian poetic language of the twentieth century: structural-semantic, functional-stylistic and lexicographic aspects] Extended abstract of Doctor’s thesis. Kyiv [in Ukrainian].
3. Hrynchyshyn, D. G. 1965. The phenomenon of substantivization in the Ukrainian language (substantivization of adjectives) [The phenomenon of
substantivization in the Ukrainian language (substantivization of adjectives)] Kyiv: Nauk. opinion. [in Ukrainian].
4. Hutsalo Yevhen, (1987). Vybrani tvory [Vybrani tvory] (Vols. 1–2) Kyiv: Rad. pysmennyk. [in Ukrainian].
5. Gutsalo, Eugene (1984). Parad planet: roman, povisti [Parade of planets. Novel, stories]. Kyiv: Rad. writer. [in Ukrainian].
6. Gutsalo, E. (1996). Tvory [Works] Vols. 1–5. Kyiv: Dnipro, [in Ukrainian].
7. Gutsalo, Eugene (1988). Myloserdia po-amerykansky. Rodeo na akuli. Ulyumdzhi. [Mercy in the American way. Rodeo on a shark]. Kyiv: Rad. writer,
1988. 563 p. [in Ukrainian].
8. Dobosevich, Ulyana (2011). Substantyvatsiia yak vyiav transpozytnykh mozhlyvostei riznykh chastyn movy. Aktualni problemy morfolohii. Linhvistychni studii. [Substantivization as a manifestation of transpositive possibilities of different parts of speech. Current problems of morphology. Linguistic studies]. (22),91–96. Lutsk [in Ukrainian].
9. Dudyk, P. S. (2005). Stylistyka ukrainskoi movy: navch. posib. [Stylistics of the Ukrainian language: textbook]. Kyiv: Academy, 2005. [in Ukrainian].
10. Yermolenko, S. Y. (2000) Ukrainska mova: entsyklopediia [Expressiveness. Ukrainian language: Encyclopedia] V. M. Rusanovsky, O. O. Taranenko,
M. P. Zyablyuk and others (Eds.). Kyiv: Publishing House "Ukrainian Encyclopedia". [in Ukrainian].
11. Matsko, L. I., Sidorenko, O. M., Matsko, O. M. (2003). Stylistyka ukrainskoi movy: pidruchnyk [Stylistics of the Ukrainian language: a textbookm].
Kyiv: Higher School, 2003. 462 p. [in Ukrainian].
12. Bilodid, I. K. (Ed.) (1973). Suchasna ukrainska literaturna mova: Stylistyka [Contemporary Ukrainian literary language: Stylistics] / for general. ed.
acad. I. K. Bilodid. Kyiv: Nauk. thought, 1973. 588 p. . [in Ukrainian].
Abstract views: 13
Copyright (c) 2020 Literature and Culture of Polissya
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.