Elliptical Sentences as Headlines of Newspaper Articles
Elliptical sentences functioning in mass media is examined in the article. The specification of elliptical sentences usage as headlines is investigated. Attention is drawn to the fact that the ellipse as a syntactic means of text compression is used to achieve the dynamic and concise expression of thought and action intensification. Functional and stylistic potential of incomplete sentences of Ukrainian newspaper broadcasting has been determined. Elliptical sentence-headers with implicit sentences or major components of monosyllabic structures are highlighted. Elliptical headline sentences with implicit subjects are of particular stylistic expressiveness, which make it possible to strengthen informatively significant determinants of the story’s subject. Elimination of the object, adverbial modifier of place and attribute in the genre of interviews as a new phenomenon in modern Ukrainian press is revealed. In general, elliptical sentences as headlines in newspaper articles in modern Ukrainian press serve as a means of text compressing and specific events emphasisers.
2. Holoiukh, V. I. (1982). Eliptychni rechennia z neverbalizovanymy holovnymy chlenamy [Elliptic sentences with non-verbalized principal terms]
Movoznavstvo – Linguistics, 1. 21–26 [in Ukrainian].
3. Dudyk, P. S. (2010) Syntaksys ukrainskoi movy: pidruchnyk [Syntax of the Ukrainian language: a textbook]. Kyiv: VTs Akademiia [in Ukrainian].
4. Dudyk, P. S. (1973) Syntaksys suchasnoho ukrainskoho rozmovnoho literaturnoho movlennia (Proste rechennia; ekvivalenty rechennia) [Syntax of
Modern Ukrainian Conversational Literary Speech. Simple sentence; sentence equivalents]. Kyiv: Nauk. Dumka [in Ukrainian].
5. Zahnitko, A. P. (2011) Teoretychna hramatyka suchasnoi ukrainskoi movy. Morfolohiia. Syntaksys [Theoretical grammar of modern Ukrainian
language. Morphology. Syntax]. Donetsk: VKF BAO [in Ukrainian].
6. Zahnitko, A. (2003) Strukturni i semantychni riznovydy ukrainskykh syntaksychnykh innovatsii [Structural and semantic varieties of Ukrainian syntactic innovations] Linhvistychni studii: (zb. nauk. prats u 2 chast.) – Linguistic Studies: Collection of scientific works in 2 parts. (Vol. 11; Ch. 1). 135–147 [in Ukrainian].
7. Karanska, M. U. (1995) Syntaksys suchasnoi ukrainskoi literaturnoi movy [Syntax of Modern Ukrainian Literary Language]. Kyiv: Lybid [in Ukrainian].
8. Shulzhuk, K. F. (2004) Syntaksys ukrainskoi movy: pidruchnyk [Syntax of the Ukrainian language: a textbook]. Kyiv: Vydavnychyi tsentr Akademiia [in Ukrainian]
Abstract views: 14
Copyright (c) 2020 Literature and Culture of Polissya
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.